Due April 4, 2014

*Entries are listed in order of most recent to oldest.
If you wish to read from the beginning you will need to scroll down toward the end (and possibly click on "older posts" to get back to the beginning)

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Preterm Labor (Part 2)

Click here if you haven't read part 1.

Part 2

After settling in with the new staff and getting reconnected to all of the machines it was near 4am before either of us fell asleep and even then it only lasted for 2 1/2 hours. A nurse came in and drew blood and I figured it was a good time to contact a few people to let them know what was going on. We didn't want to worry anyone the previous night - especially since we didn't know what had been going on for the first 6 hours but at this point they were talking weeks of hospital bed rest if the baby hadn't forced her way out within the next few days. They didn't have much hope that I would be leaving the hospital pregnant.




Around 7:30am a few people walked in with my nurse. My nurse was saying goodbye and letting me know that the next nurse would be in within the next few hours. Again, I was sad to see the nurse go. I had been so blessed thusfar with nice nurses and I quickly got attached to them as they cared for me. When the nurse walked away I got a glance of the people who were behind her, ready to introduce themselves. 

I know my face lit up.
"Dr. Jones!" I said as enthusiastically as a person who has slept for 2 hours can.
I hadn't expected to see her at all and I was so happy just to be in the presence of someone who I already knew. "I made it... 17 days!"
She looked confused at first. "Oh yeah, it was just on the 9th that I saw you," she said.
I nodded. "Well... I made it past my glucose... but now..." I shrug towards the machines.
They checked my cervix again and I hadn't progressed, despite the fact that my contractions had continued through the night (but now at a slower, less aggressive pace). 

Dr. Jones had ordered an ultrasound and they came to get me from my room to wheel me down at 9:30. Once again I was in the same room as I had been during my nuchal fold scan 4 months earlier in which Dr. Cruz had once told me that my baby's fate wasn't too positive. 

The baby wasn't too cooperative in showing her beautiful face. She kept her hands in front of her face the whole time, despite the tech attempting to convince her otherwise. Every other organ was looking good. The last and most important thing was measuring my cervix the long way (the thickness of the cervix between the baby's head and the opening). 
She was measuring at 3lbs 9oz. At one point when the tech was measuring her head she said "Well... she has a big head... but it's ok because it matches her big body. A 30 week baby was approximated to weigh 2.9lbs. 
Dr Jones delivered the good news - there was no reason to keep me on the magnesium sulfate (and catheter, thank goodness!) because the long cervix was still a good thickness, despite the fact that the baby was head down, engaged and looking ready to make her way into the world. 

Ethel says "No comment"


Kevin left after the scan to get stuff for our second night stay. We had hardly been prepared to stay the night at the hospital - much less one so far away. Meanwhile I did small (non moving) dances of joy every time I got disconnected from a tube and machine. They eventually even disconnected my belly monitor (as long as I understood that if I noticed more than 4 contractions an hour that I was to let them know) as well, although they'd be coming in every few hours to put it on for a half hour after taking my vitals. My amazing nurse got me a new (more comfortable - NON labor) bed and I finally was allowed to eat and take a shower by mid afternoon. I was a thousand times more comfortable than I had been hours earlier and the drugs were finally wearing off leaving me with a more clear head. At 7:30 my nurse came in one more time and let me know that the shift was changing. I flashed her a frown face and she assured me that I would love my next nurse. "She's a petite little thing and she's the nicest thing in the entire world. You'll love her, I promise."
For a small minute I wondered if she was describing the one Jo I knew - especially since she was going to school for nursing - but I knew it wouldn't be her despite the spot on description. 


Jo came in to say hi before telling me to take a nap. She told me she'd be back at 11pm for my second steroid shot along with my last round of monitoring for the night. Kevin had been as overtired as I was so he was passed out cold on a very uncomfortable looking couch.
I lay in the darkness and listen to the sound of the baby's heart. 



Everything went great but I still didn't fall asleep until 1am. Jo came back in at 6:30 to take more vitals and to tell me the doctor would be in soon to talk to me. Finally the man behind the curtain came in the room. (He had been mentioned throughout my entire stay and he was the one calling the shots but I had yet seen him.) They checked me once more and confirmed I hadn't progressed. He told me they'd plan on releasing me later in the morning. I dared ask what I could do when I left. The answer was sit on my butt and do nothing but get up to go to the bathroom or make a sandwhich. I would get more detailed instructions in writing closer to my actual discharge. 

We were home by noon - along with strict instructions as to what I was and wasn't allowed to do. (I'm allowed to do nothing but lay down or sit in a recliner.) On Monday I would see my doctor, have a non-stress test and checkup and she would determine the next step (more bed rest? less restricted?)

So here I am, sitting in that one spot... for the next few days.
I'm grateful for everyone who has helped out and kept me company thusfar! Thank you! 

Send us some positive, non labor thoughts! We want the tiny person to stay inside and grow a little longer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment